Socks of Love Challenge with Our Glass Slipper Princess This Month
This month Glass Slipper Princess wants to help her fellow teens who don’t have a place to stay this winter. Some simple socks and basic hygiene items and she wants to provide some help for homeless teens in our local communities.
CAN YOU HELP HER?
There are currently over 30,000 homeless youth in Orange County alone. Most of these kids have either been ejected from their home or have left to escape various horrific situations in the home. This month we would like to help these boys and girls with some basic needs in our communities with notes that tell them that they are still important.
(OC RESIDENTS: A group event to fill socks is schedule for Saturday, February 4th 2:30-4:00pm in Mission Viejo with Kids Who Care. Please email if interested in attending this kid group event)
- Large boys white athletic socks
- Small bars of soap
- Lip balm
- Small squares of paper
How to do this Challenge:
- Purchase packs of socks at discount store such as Costco, Sam’s Club, or Dollar stores
- Purchase travel sizes of items such as soap, toothpaste, lotion, etc.
- Purchase value packs of bandages, lip balm, and other items you would like to include
- Place one of each item in sock (be sure to include the other sock inside for the pair
- Make paper squares with a drawing and “Socks of Love” with “From your ISP Ambassador” on the back
- Tie sock at top with string/ribbon
- Attach paper to the string
- Call one of the resources below or search for one in your area catering to homeless youth.
*Other items such as $5 or $10 gift cards can be placed inside as well. Also needed would be bottles of water to hand out with the socks, etc.
Most kids have a day off of school for Martin Luther King Day in January. Use this day as a service day to others. Invite some friends over, have each family bring one of the items and have the kids stuff, make cards and talk about how they are helping other kids on a day that celebrates a kind man who helped fight for and help others. Not in town that weekend? This is also a great Valentine for your kids to make. Instead of making cards and bringing candy to friends, have your child extend a gift to those who really need some love.
Stand Up for Kids – standupforkids.org
Salvation Army – salvationarmyusa.org
Your local food bank – OC Food Bank – feedingoc.org